Monday, July 4, 2016

Article 10: Crafting your resume profile so that your brilliance pops off the page!

I’ve been told time and again that my resume allows recruiters to immediately see my value-add when it comes to my communications experience. I do this with my front page of my resume where I share my “profile” through short bullets of who I am. 

What this front-page section does is allow the recruiter to immediately know if I have the experience and skills they need for the particular job they are trying to fill. You won’t be surprised to learn that I crafted this first section of my resume with my three stories, all which fully support my dream job.

For example, using the example story from before, I can identify four items that are perfect for my profile.

I was brought in to drive an international team of communication professionals on a large-scale project that impacted over 4,000 team members. The goal of my communications team was to make sure all team members were kept up to date on the progress with effective and creative communications. One day, our very seasoned PM left the program – unexpectedly - and our replacement was a sales rep who did not understand that the changes he made on the fly had a downstream impact on my team. We couldn’t stay up with all the changes he was making on a daily basis – and for some unknown reason, he refused to document the changes. My team was threatening to leave the company due to the issues this created for them. I wish I could say that my team and I were able to resolve the issue quickly, but it took a while. Eventually, I was able to introduce an overly simple change management process that helped him track the changes, allowing my team to know exactly what they needed to communicate. Happily, no one left my team and the PM eventually understood the benefit of tracking changes.

  •         Drive large-scale projects that impact thousands of employees.
  •         Manage global communication teams on large-scale initiatives.
  •         Collaborate and work as part of a team, while also leading.
  •         Resolve conflicts, never giving up even when there are roadblocks and setbacks.
Now I want you to go back to your stories, and pull your “personality” from your stories, showing your qualities and skills you have that make you a great candidate for your dream job. List out as many as you can find to begin with. Don’t judge anything at this stage, just collect bullets that might be used in your profile.

You can see now why we built these stories around your dream job and not just what you have done in the past, as the CAR methodology has a tendency to do. 

Another great trick to building a strong profile is to do a search on your dream job title. From those job descriptions, you can see what traits and experiences are important to the hiring team. Go ahead and grab a few of these items that may be missing from your profile.

The final step in crafting the profile section of your resume is to see what bullets can be combined or perhaps deleted. I’m going to share a few of my profile bullets to give you an idea of how this can look:

ü  15+ years demonstrated ability in achieving sustainable and effective global internal and external executive and employee communications in global, complex, dynamic and results-oriented organizations.

ü  Senior Executive Communications Leader, supporting executives with speaker opportunities, media and investor briefings, presentations, town halls, social media, employee communications and organizational changes.

ü  Drive comprehensive internal communications strategy and provide day-to-day support for key employee communications initiatives across multi-functional organizations.

ü  Outstanding analytical, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills, producing clear and influential communications for broad and diverse audiences.

These four bullets tell a recruiter a lot about me, very quickly. You’ll notice, they are not about the projects I worked on, but what I am capable of doing.  They answer the question for the recruiter: Can she do the job? 

In addition, in order to assist the recruiter in understanding that I can do the job (i.e., my dream job!), I will pick up key words from the job posting and add them to my profile. This solidifies my qualifications, which is always a good thing.

How many bullets you have under your profile will depend on the job you are applying for.  Too many, and the recruiter will get lost in the black ink on the page. Too little, and the recruiter won’t see your value-add. I would suggest at least six, but no more than ten. You can combine the shorter bullets into other bullets to get your number under control.

In my next article, we will be discussing ways to use your stories to craft your Job Experience section of your resume. 


No comments:

Post a Comment